Record Company

Produced by Louis Perry (0254) & Roisin Evans (0107)

Wednesday 16 February 2011

Labour Division

During the planning process of designing our music video, we never officially assigned jobs, simply because both of us wanted to do a bit of everything ourselves.

Through the filming of the Auditorium scenes we chose the lighting states together and chose where and how we would set up the camera for different scenes. I enjoyed this personally as it gave me a chance to have some control over the camera action and learn how to work the lighting system, which I had never done before. This was done through the skills which Louis had on working with the lighting desk. This was very helpful as it meant that we were both doing everything and had complete control of what was going on. This also meant that Louis controlled the lights when we needed them. And I had a more control of filming. Until it came to the tracking when we worked together to make sure that the camera stayed still.
Louis – I really enjoyed working in the auditorium as it was our first chance when we got to do what we wanted with the camera. Both myself and Roisin took it in turns working with the camera. But I really enjoyed that fact that I was able to use the lighting desk. And work the lights which we wanted. This was given to me to do as I have had past experience of working with the lights and understand what to do. for the scenes when the lights changed this meant that I was working in the box while Roisin was filming which I did not mind.

When filming the Wood scenes, the filming and directing was split between us, I had alot of fun with the directing however I feel that we should have taken control of the situation more. For example after the filming when it came to the editing we found that there some shots we needed but because we had let the ours actors become so free with their movements we had to work around some mishaps.
Louis – like Roisin I feel that splitting the directing and filming was the best way at the time as it meant that we could get individual style within the piece. There were some shots which we wanted to get but were unable to as our female fell over. And would then not match our continuity. I did not think that this would of effected anything. But wished we could have got some more shows before this. As like Roisin said we were struggling in the editing.

Nonetheless throughout the editing stages of our piece myself and Louis learnt alot about the technologies which we had to use. Final Cut was new to both of us as we had only used iMovie before. Both of us expanded our knowledge and skills, we found these through looking tutorials up on YouTube and trial-and-error in class. For myself personally I found it was more satisfying when we found some effects ourselves as it seemed we had done the job on our own and relied on others. Within the editing Louis did take more of a leadershiop role. This was mainly when it came down to looking at the more complex areas. This was mainly because he had gone off and research how to do these and felt more confident doing this. Throughout the whole process we both made sure that we put as much impute as possible, and thinking about different ideas.
Louis – I feel that I have been able to learn and develop a number of new skills and apply them to other work which I might do. I do not feel that I would of learnt how to do most of this if we had not used final cut, or If I looked into what was what within final cut.


Below is a table of how our "labour" during the whole piece went:

No comments:

Post a Comment